Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The end of Miracle Day

Hi Torchwood, we go way back. You know, that episode of Doctor Who where Queen Victoria started you, and then the whole Cyberman/Dalek invasion bit and even those odd seasons on BBC whatever, with Welsh cannibals, space whales and the occasional good episode. Then there was Children of Earth and I was like, "wow, maybe there's something good here."

And then there's Miracle Day, which remained mediocre for the first few episodes, until number 5, when you killed off the only interesting character of the newcomers.

And that's why I'm killing you off as well. No more Miracle Day for you. The central mystery has some intrigue, but the characters around it (apart from the longtimers Jack, Gwen and Rhys) have been so, so awful, but in creation and acting, that it has become nearly impossible to watch. The politics are so blatant as to be laughable, and the attention to detail is absent. (For example, a screen card read "Washington D.C. City Hall" on this episode. It took literally five seconds to find out the actual name of the building, the John A. Wilson building. Details always make a story more believable, especially on a fantasy/SF show like this.)

So, bye bye oddly restrained Capt. Jack and plucky Gwen. I'll read up when the series is over to find out who the bad guys really are, and wait for Aug. 27 when the Doctor is back in business with a showrunner that seems to have an idea about how to craft a show.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, is it really this bad? I was just going to sit down and start catching up on episodes. I was so looking forward to Torchwood returning...and now I am faced with a thumbs down from Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did write this right after a figurative toss of the show across the room (I erased the episodes from my DVR), but considering how much of an absolute Doctor Who fanboy I am (I even kind of liked the TV movie)it probably is as bad as that. That the "team member gets killed after being too trusting" has been used before on the show certainly doesn't help, nor is keeping Capt. Jack on the sideline for much of the action.

    ReplyDelete