Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 10: Are we to the Final Battle yet?

As you can see, my copy of A Memory of Light has arrived. It's bright, shinny and thick (more than 900 pages in hardcover). It's also going to hang out on the shelf for a bit, because I'm still in the first half of book nine, Winter's Heart. My recollection is that this was the last book of the series I finished. I started reading book 10, Memories of Twilight, and thought it would be best to just wait for the series to be finished before I went back to the books. That was about a decade ago.

The one advantage to plowing through the Robert Jordan books one after another is that it makes some of the digressions more tolerable, because you know they will eventually lead to a resolution that is a matter of days (or weeks, depending on my speed) away. That's a lot different from getting to the end of a book, looking back at what little had transpired, and realizing that there was, at least, a couple of years before the next volume.

Along with the new Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson epic, I picked up a copy of the new Neil Gaiman picture book, Chu's Day. It's a fun little read and features some delightful illustrations by Adam Rex. It's about a little panda with a big sneeze... and well, it's a picture book. It's quicker to read than for me to describe.

Meanwhile, things continue on. The steady stream of work has finally solidified for January and into February, when the next headache -- working a day job and writing -- starts up for the year. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment