Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 17: "Hi, this is Ed, how can I help... oh what have I done?"

Back at the day job, though it's not exactly the same day job. During part of the year, I work for a test scoring firm in the Twin Cities, working on projects for different states and different types of assessments. NDAs mean I have to be pretty vague about all of this, but it's not the worst work, the people are interesting to work with, and it helps to pay the bills.

I'm not doing a project like that this time.

Instead, I'm assisting a pilot project. And not the actual administration of said project, but in lining up schools from across the country to participate. The vibe is very different. The quiet, library-like atmosphere of scoring has been replaced by constant chatter and ringing telephones. It's like being back in a newsroom (except, ahem, it pays better than I ever made at a newspaper).

After one day - and the promise of oodles of overtime - I'm pretty sure that most of my plans for the next few weeks are headed out the window. The real challenge will be keeping to my eating and exercising plans.

I'm not going to have much idle time for entertainment or other distractions. That likely will make it easier to not spend, especially as it's going to take quite a bit longer to finish anything. Sorry Final Battle in The Wheel of Time, you're going to have to wait your turn. I've got some calls to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment