Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: Some goals

Hey old blogging spot. I'm back, maybe for good this time (we'll see how it goes).

Anyway, the turn of the calendar calls for new plans and after consulting with the braintrust (er, that would be me) I have a few plans for the coming year. I never like to call these resolutions. That implies a major change that is doomed to failure. Think of them as goals.

1. An end to spending

Like an overstretched EU member, some austerity is in order for 2013. This isn't predicated so much on a lack of income, but a realization that there is just too much damn stuff in the Huyck household. A quick count of the bulging bookshelves of unread book resulted in more unread books (about 140) than I read all of last year (120). 

I can go down the list of my interests to find the same theme, over and over again. There are enough unplayed video games to more than keep me busy through 2013. Boxes of unpainted miniatures wait for me, not to mention fully exploring all of the associated games that go with them.

Obviously, there is plenty to keep me busy for the coming year. My first goal is to cut off my "fun" spending for the time being, while I draw full pleasure from what I already have.

2. A pop-culture diet

It's easy to get distracted by high-speed internet, hundreds of television channels and the allure of constant and consistent immersion of the endless steam of information. I'm exhausted by it all -- I honestly think most people are -- and want a break from it all. As I'm not spending money on entertainment for the time being, some of this is easy. 

It goes beyond just purchasing things, however. I'm cutting you off, new television shows and I'll see you again in 2014. A few current shows I've been watching will get a pass, but I can look at those as treats instead of the main meal.

Then there's the internet, the great time sink of our age. My goal here is simple: no more non-work related use than the amount of time I exercise. So, if I work out for 30 minutes or an hour, I get that much time to surf. If I'm a lazy slug all day long. Well, no web for me.

3. Why am I telling you this?

Well, I'm really telling myself at this point. (Growing the audience for this blog can be part of my 2013 professional goals). A record of plans is good. Seeing if there is follow through is better. I plan to be here everyday to detail what happens day to day. So, expect a record of what happens each day, and if it helps out as much as I think it will. If not, I can post some random cat pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment