Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 20: Anniversary

The homestead. Just add some more trees and gardens to the front (and snow right now).
Four years ago today, I spent a couple of hours signing my name on a massive pile of documents, finished arrangements for a down payment and got the keys for my house.

I drove over that evening to bring the first of many carloads of stuff over. The water hadn't been turned on. The garage door didn't work and the lock on the front door wasn't particularly secure (I put full paint cans next to it to keep it somewhat secure until my brother was able to fix the lock). There were no appliances, no furniture and it needed plenty of work, but it was mine.

Four years later, the spaces have become as familiar as the back of my hand. The living room is almost overstuffed with furniture, while the debris of my everyday life threaten to spill over into every nook and cranny. We've survived a burglary and a tornado and a cat intent on making every space his own. There is still painting to be done and the garage needs to be cleaned out and there are a thousand other things that should, but it's a little more mine every month.

So happy anniversary house. May we have good times together long into the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment