Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3: Temptation by mail

Dystopian Legions, Arcane Legions and Star Wars, oh my.
Temptation comes in many forms, and it doesn't matter if you leave the house or not...

Actually, it was just a couple of packages ordered with Christmas money. They represent the tail end of the new "stuff" for the time being (there are a couple more orders yet to come). Then I can get down to business. Really.

What arrived, you - my likely mythical readers - ask? In perhaps the strangest combination I've ever received, one order contained a volume of the Annotated Sherlock Holmes containing Conan Doyle's four novels, and a package of 50 rare-earth magnets for some hobby-fu. I have a plan for them that I'll share once I get around to that particular project.

The other was a gaming mixed bag. There were a pair of boxes for Arcane Legions, a game that came out of the gate like gangbusters a few years back and then died a slow death. The remaining stock can be had for a song, and I liked the setting (ancient world that has been torned asunder by the introduction of magic; there are Romans riding bears! Bears!) and some of the miniatures, even if the mix of paint-your-own and pre-painted figures doesn't always look the best.

Meanwhile, Spartan Games extends their steampunk Dystopian Wars setting with Dystopian Legions, a  Warmachine-scale game. I'm not sure if this is something I plan to play, or just have fun painting the figures. After all, the Britainnia starter I got included soldiers with jetpacks (wearing goggles naturally), so there's that to look forward to.

To finish, there were three figures from Fantasy Flight's X Wing game. Like MST3K's Johnny Longtorso, this is a game you buy in pieces if you want to have any real fun. Still, the game mechanics are good, the figures are nicely constructed (and pre-painted) and now I can revert to being an 8-year-old and pretend to be Luke Skywalker all over again.

Otherwise, the day was marked mainly by a slight return to work; working my way midway through Lord of Chaos; and watching more TV than I should. We'll see what today brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment