Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: Tanks for the Memories

The good news is that I did not ignore all of my plans for the year by spending the the entire day on the internet, ordering books, music and games off of various web sites.

Exercise was accomplished. I kept to my promise and stayed off the internet except for little bursts through the day. As was about 85 percent of the New York Times crossword and about half of the sudoko published in the Star Tribune. I read to page 266 of Robert Jordan's Lord of Chaos, which keeps me on schedule to finish the series by the end of January. I also completed piecing together the Flames of War Open Fire! boxed set I picked up before Christmas. There probably was too much TV (a mixture of meaningless bowl games and the extended cuts of the Lord of the Rings films), but it was New Year's Day.

Originally, I had planned to finish the 13 published books in the Wheel of Time series before the publication of the final volume next week. That plan worked OK for the first few volumes, but I had forgotten how much of a slog the middle volumes can be, and I know the general aimlessness of the series continues through the next few volumes (though, at the very least, they are relatively shorter). Still, the first quarter of Lord of Chaos is generally OK, though the length means the usual slow start to the books in the series stretches out for an incredibly long time.

As far as Flames of War goes, I'm usually not all that interested in historical miniatures, but the game's mechanics lend to a pretty satisfying tactical challenge. The range is 15 mm (that's about half an inch), so each of the individual soldiers are tiny, not to mention some of the details that need to be added to the tanks. That's probably why there seems to be as much glue on my fingertips this morning as on the figures.

Goals for today? Well, I am "back" to work (or is that back to "work?"), and there are a few pieces that need to be completed between now and Friday. There is also monthly planning to finish to get an idea of where the next few weeks will take me. Beyond that: Lord of Chaos isn't going to finish itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment